Have protruded bone on wrist which hurts, wear splint and take DMSO. Can Cortisone shot be taken?

can you get a cortzone shot for tendinitis + the protruded bone on my wrist hurts i wear a splint all day at work and take DMSO little help I have been to 2 doctors they say i have tendinitis but not offer much help, taking moltrin
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cortisone can be given+lifetstyle changes+pain med

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this tendinitis.

Treatment of tendinitis consists in the following:
1.Drugs which are pain medications like motrin. In severe cases, the tendon can be infiltrated with steroids for a short while to relieve of the pains and accelerate healing. However, prolonged use can rather cause the tendon to rupture. Thus it can be used but with great caution and only when regular pain medications like motrin have failed.
Please, has your doctor been monitoring the progress of your treatment with erythrocyte sedimentation rate? this will also give you an idea whether things are getting better or not.

2. Lifestyle modifications consist in resting the affected tendon through immobilization and applying ice packs to it. This helps to reduce the pains and hasten healing.

My suggestion would be that you return to your doctors for them to examine you and confirm the diagnosis again. Then, they may want to try more potent drugs like steroids if clearly you have not been benefiting from this motrin.Are you taking adequate doses of motrin? Check this out with your doctor.

DMSO offers some relief though I have very little experience using it. However, since it doesn't hurt I am fine with you using it.

I hope this addresses your query fully. If you have related follow up questions, please feel free to ask me and I would gladly address them.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr. Ditah, MD