Have problem with dandruff, is there any treatment and the cause of this problem?

I have problem with dandruff ,is there any treatment and the cause of this problem?
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later

I presume that you were diagnosed with dandruff by the doctor. If yes, my information may help you to get it treated. If not there are other conditions that can mimic dandruff.
Dandruff is presence of white flakes in scalp. It is a common condition world wide. Dandruff is nothing but fungal infection of scalp. Dandruff is quite common in age group between 15 to 25.In this age there is increased production of androgenic hormones leading to oiliness.This promotes the growth of fungus and dandruff. Other causes include sweating,allergic reaction to chemical dyes,color etc. There are some disorders of scalp like psoraisis, lice infestation causing white flakes and produces dandruff like scaling.

Treatment of dandruff includes application of antifungal shampoos.Most commonly used is ketoconazole (nizoral) which is available on counters.It is used twice weekly.Apply it like normal shampoo.It has to be used regularly even if there is no dandruff to prevent recurrence.
Keeping short hairs is one of best method to avoid dandruff.

In case you have itching over scalp you can take oral antihistaminic like cetrizine. I hope this can solve your query. In case you have any concerns i will feel happy to help you.Thanks.
Follow-up: Have problem with dandruff, is there any treatment and the cause of this problem? 12 hours later
could I use the ketocinazole twice weekly all ling the year?
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Ketoconazole shamapoo can be used all through the year. It is safe.

One more advantage as it has got antiandrogenic action and therefore reduce the oil secretions from the scalp. It will also reduce hair fall related to hormones (male pattern baldness)

There may be some dryness of hairs for which you can apply a conditioner.

I hope this can solve your problem. If you still have any concerns feel free to ask.

Follow-up: Have problem with dandruff, is there any treatment and the cause of this problem? 8 hours later
Thank you , other question is about the carnations on the face , how would I control this porblem? nowadays I use the skin cleansing , is this right?
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 15 hours later
Hi ,

Carnations on face is also age related problem.

Increased level of hormones causes oiliness of face .This causes blockage of skin pores leading to blackheads and white heads.This may get infected again causing active pimples.

Start using a good oil control cleanser like cetaphil or brevoxyl. You can also get your black heads removed with a comedone expressor. Do not apply occlusive sunscreen or any moisturisng creams on your face.

Taking care of your dandruff will also help in reducing your carnations.

I hope this can solve your problem .