Have problem in ears and left ear is blocked. Suggest the medication?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
i have a problem in my ears from last 2 months. ears catch very slow voice.

and now my left ear is closed and my right ear is good now.

plz suggest me the medicine or ear drop.......
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
ear block

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon and I shall try to help you out with your problem.

At the offset let me assure you that since your hearing gets better alternatively, it may be an ear block which is treatable.

You have mentioned that first your left ear is closed while your right ear is good now which I take to understand that the right one was closed earlier and now is better.

This finding can be seen in many conditions though the most common would be a eustachian tube defect or just a wax plugging your ear canal and causing the block.

In any case you may do the following:
1. You must take steam inhalation at least three times a day for a week and see if this improve the hearing
2. You may also add an antihistamine like levocetrizine for early recovery. Your doctor will know about this drug.
3. If the hearing does not improve in a week then you must get an AUDIOMETRY INCLUDING PURE TONE AND IMPEDANCE and get back to me or any ENT with the report.
4. Get a friend to inspect with a torch light the outer aspect of your ear without putting anything inside to find out if there is any evidence of wax in the canal which if confirmed you can always put a wax solvent to clear them. You must remember though that the actual cleaning and inspection must be done only by an ENT surgeon.
5. You may also need to take a CT of the temporal bone for better assessment of hearing.
Wait for a week or two and in case the hearing does not improve then get the test done and get back to me or any ENT

Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to clear any more doubts you may have.
get well soon

Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Have problem in ears and left ear is blocked. Suggest the medication? 1 hour later
thnks sir for giving me a response.

it means i take steam inhalation for one week and there is no need to ear drop or other medicine i m right sir......
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,

Yes you have understood me correctly, you need to take steam inhalation without any ear drops.

You may put some menthol in the water for steam inhalation

Take care and get well soon but if you are not feeling better by one week or so then you must take the tests i mentioned and get back to me or any ENT

Dr Sriram Nathan