Have pressure on lower side of stomach, lost weight and constipated by taking suboxone. Cause for pain?

General Surgeon
I have pressure on my lower left side and have lost some weight.also constipated do to the use of suboxone
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Lower left side of abdomen is where sigmoid colon is located. Assuming that due to suboxone usage you do have chronic constipation, diverticulitis of sigmoid colon seems to be the most probable reason of your abdominal pain. Due to increased pressure in the large intestine (caused by constipation and hard pushing on stool) kind of pouches appear in the intestine wall. Due to stool obstruction in such pouch, it gets inflamed what gives pain or pressure. This condition should give pain when touching this area.
If the pressure is the only thing you feel, constipation itself can be the reason.
Suboxone can cause decreased appetite what can be the reason of weight loss.

I suggest you to visit your doctor and have blood work, liver tests, amylase, urine amylase, lipase, and abdominal ultrasound. You should also be scheduled for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.