Have post nasal drip, cough, excessive mucus in throat. Blood test, chest x-ray normal. Concerned

ENT Specialist
hi, I am 37 years old male and i have had which i believe is post nasal drip. i am an asthmatic and for the past 2 months have had the same symptoms, ie excess mucus in throat, thick mucus feeling in the nose causing me to have an irritating cough and making always trying to clear my throat. As this has never happened to my before other than having asthma and (sinus problems on and off) I have consulted my Dr and he had me get blood tests and chest xrays which all came out normal. All he says is that I have plenty mucus when he check my mouth and throat??? . This has effected my lifestyle and work because of time off. I have taken twice weekly otrivin which is an over the counter nasal decongestant which works for half a day then mucus comes back. I also take over the counter antihistamine ie clarytyne.I would like to know as Ihave never had this before is this a short or long term illness
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query

One of the causes for all your problems is the wrong medication. Please avoid self medication in the future. Otrivin should never be used for more than 4-5 days, this will cause rebound congestion of the nasal mucosa and worsens your problems.

Secondly, antihistamines will further add on to the assault because, it will increase the consistency of the nasal secretions and prevents easy clearance of the secretions.

Finally, if you are having gastritis or acid reflux disease the mucus gets accumulated in the throat to prevent inflammation of the mucosa, which happens due to regurgitation of the acid from the stomach into the throat.

Do not worry! With appropriate measures and medications, this can be taken care off.

My suggestions to you are:

1. Drink plenty of warm water. Warm water, reduces the inflammation of the mucosa in the nose and the throat, as well as, lightens the secretions and hence easy expelling of the same.

2. Use saline nasal spray 3-4 times a day, followed by steam inhalation. This also acts in the similar way as mentioned above. Apart from that, it reduces the production of the sinus secretions.

3. Try taking plain mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol. Mucolytics reduce the consistency of the secretions and facilitate easy clearance from the nose and the sinuses.

4. Avoid smoking, coffee, chilled food and beverages, lying under the fan or in front of air conditioner.

5. Try taking proton pump inhibitors if you are having gastritis or acid reflux problems.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon