Have positive result for HSV2. Had no symptoms and have never had any outbreaks. What does this mean?

I just received a positive result for HSV2. I have no symptoms and have never had any outbreaks. What does this mean?
Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Guru 55 minutes later

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

Positive result for HSV 2 means that you might have been infected with HSV-2 type-specific serologic tests are used for the diagnosis of type 2 genital herpes infection. The best way to detect HSV 2 is by detecting IgG antibodies. But false positive HSV type 2 results can occur, especially in persons with a low likelihood of HSV infection. However, a person may be completely symptom free even when they have been infected with HSV2.

There are some other investigations like PCR tests and cell culture apart from antibody test that you have underwent to diagnose HSV 2. HSV 2 if not properly evaluated and treated may lead to complications like cervical cancer in the long run. So I advise you to see a Gynecolologist to confirm and avoid these.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish you good health.