Have pinhole dark looking things on feet. What could these be?

I have pinhole dark looking things on the side skin of my feet (they are around the arch area, the skin there) they somewhat remind me of enlarged pores. they are not itchy. i have them on the same side on both feet.
Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 30 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and seen the images you have attached. In my opinion, they could be caused due to any of the following conditions:
-Corns (most likely in my opinion)
-Diabetes (diabetic dermatopathy; normal blood sugar levels can rule this out)
-Kidney disorders (renal function blood test to rule this out)
-Sun spots (seen in individuals who have excessive exposure to sun, completely harmless)
-Purpura (a clotting disorder, a blood coagulation profile to rule this out)
-Chronic arsenic poisoning (unlikely)
-Viral infections (last cause to rule out)

As these conditions vary greatly and accordingly their treatment, only a physical examination by a dermatologist can help narrow it down/diagnose your condition. In the meantime, you could avoid sharing your foot wear with others, wear clean and comfortable (most important) socks and shoes.

I hope this information helps. Do write back to me for any further information or clarifications. I would be glad to help.

Best wishes.
Follow-up: Have pinhole dark looking things on feet. What could these be? 10 minutes later
i thought corns were raised on the skin, these are not raised.
they look more like dents?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 3 minutes later
Hello once again.

The initial presentation of corns is not a raised one, it is on the same level as that of the surrounding skin. This could also be as your spots are not located on your sole, which would be under constant pressure and friction while you walk.

I hope this helps.