Have piles. Chemotherapy is causing inflammation around rectal area. How to treat it?

I'm currently going through chemo and the treatment is playing havoc with my bowel movements causing inflammation of the rectal area. I know I have piles but they've never been a problem until now. How best can I treat them?
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 16 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen blood vessels in the lower rectum.
Treatment can be conservative , but if that fails surgical treatment might be indicated.
Conservative treatement consists of the following : (1)use of copious fluids and high fiber diet,
(2)soaking in a warm solution of water either by itself or with the addition of substances such as espon salts, this should be done for approximately 15 mins, 2-3 times a day.This relaxes the spasm of the anal sphincter.
(3) use of stool softeners to avoid straining and worsening the hemorrhoids. An example would sodium docusate
(4) using a oral pain killer particularly in the anti-inflammatory category such as ibuprofen/cataflam/voltaren
(5) use of topical analgesics such as lidocaine creams along anti-inflammatory creams such as mild steroid (hydrocortisone)- These can usually be obtained over the counter

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions