Have persistent chest pain and cough. Normal? Can I put all of my cancer and paraneoplastic worries to rest?

Nov 2013

I got my paraneoplastic antibody panel back results negative for all antibodies. I'm having ct w contrast for my persistent chest pain and cough tomorrow. If this is normal can I put all of my cancer and paraneoplastic worries to rest? All testing and labs remain negative but my symptoms persist without getting better or worse for some time. Is there systemic nervous system deficits that are idiopathic? Have you seen instances similar. I have done extensive research on paraneoplastic neurologic syndromes on medical journals and have yet to find a single instance of a patient w sclc under age 30. Should I put all of this to rest and just deal with symptoms. I haven't been a heavy smoker for much with 5 pack year history but this alongside unexplained neuro symptoms is very worrisome.

Thank you for your help through this I have found your reasoning and manner extremely therapeutic
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, we can put to rest all doubts about cancer.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for getting back.

I am glad to note that the paraneoplastic antibody panel has come back as negative. This rules out any paraneoplastic neurological syndrome. Also, if your CT chest with contrast comes back normal, then, all doubts about lung cancer can also be put to rest.

I also have not seen any sclc in a person below 30.

It is common for young people to have idiopathic neurological syndromes. So, I would agree with symptomatic treatment of your neurological symptoms at this stage.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist