Have periphreal neuropaty, take Prozac and Lyrica. Can tramadol and prozac be taken together?

Nov 2013

I have periphreal neuropaty. I do not have diabetes. I take prozac 40mg at bedtime in addition to 3 lryrica a day. Iwas told i should not mix prozac and tramad
Can i mix the tramadol and prozac. I also take lyrica. If not tramadol what can i take with the prozac
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should not mix tramadol and Prozac.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

You should not take Prozac (fluoxetine) along with tramadol, as it can occasionally lead to a severe life threatening complication, called as serotonin syndrome. Symptoms include effects on brain, autonomic system and somatic symptoms.

For neuropathic pain, you can continue to take lyrica at a dose of 150 mg twice daily. If additional pain relief is required, you can also use duloxetine capsules. For SOS pain relief, you can take ibuprofen or diclofenac tablets, even though the pain relief would be moderate.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist