Have painless lumps of fat below skin on arms, thighs, lower back and abdomen. Cure?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Dear Doctor,
I am a thirty year old male in good health with no physical ailments. I have a concern regarding what appears to be lumps of fat (I can't think of any other way to describe them) just below the skin and above the muscle layer, which are however not painful. There are about 15-20 of these "lumps" all over my body (arms, thighs, lower back, abdomen). The lumps vary in size from 1cm to 2cm in diameter. I started having these lumps since my mid twenties. Are these of any concern?
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not a matter of concern

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description, those small lumps are highly suggestive of SUBCUTANEOUS LIPOMA'S which are localized deposits of fat tissue just beneath the skin.

While the exact cause why they appear is uncertain but a genetic association has been hypothesised.

These are benign in nature and are most often asymptomatic (produce no symptoms). They only need to be removed surgically for cosmetic disfigurement.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further

Follow-up: Have painless lumps of fat below skin on arms, thighs, lower back and abdomen. Cure? 24 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply, Dr. XXXXXXX Could you please refer a Doctor here in Bangalore with whom I can consult this further? It'll be a lot of help if you could.

Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sorry, I do not know any one in B'lore.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Nice to see you back.

I'm sorry, I cannot give you any reference as I am not aware of any doctor in Bangalore. You can approach a General surgeon or a Plastic surgeon/Cosmetic surgeon (preferred) in your near by locality.

Have a great day.