Have painless hard lump on ankle. Should I be worried?

My 9 year old son has a painless hard lump like half an egg between his XXXXXXX and ankle. It has been there about 2 weeks and seems a bit larger. He spends a lot of time playing football wearing hard XXXXXXX pads.
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 12 minutes later
Hi there,

Please look out if the lump is soft, movable and has no changes of colour or skin friction…
XXXXXXX pad related skin changes may appear as lump and are called calocities. Soft painless nodular swellings without much skin changes are often fat and are called lipomas. Both these conditions are benign and not concerning.

A picture of the lump can be useful in clarifying the condition. So if possible please upload a picture of the affected area using the site's uploader. In addition, please try to get further details as described above.

Hope this is useful and informative. Let me know if there are other enquiries.