Have painful sore developed below lower teeth. Noticed sublingual gland swelling. Help?

Hello. I have a quite large canker sore that developed below my front lower teeth on the gum to the left of midline. It was so painful and first began treating with hydrogen pyroxide rinse and ointment throughout the mouth and directly on the sore. It seemed to make my tongue sore so I looked up home remedies and asked my nutritionist/chiropractor and put alum on it and a day later put salt directly on it. Now the sublingual gland (I believe that's what it is is called) swelled slightly but is decreasing in size but has now formed a sort of hard, white tail on the tip. It is bothersome. The canker sore is still there but the pain is decreasing. The sublingual gland can't quite lay down properly because of the sore and this now hardened tailend. Can you help me address this problem? I don't have a strong history of canker sores but do have them from time to time in that area. I am afraid I did something to the gland. I'm concerned about the hardened white tailend. Feeling alittle feverish but feel ok overall and don't feel much involvement elsewhere.
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Manjula R 1 hour later

Welcome to the XXXXXXX forum.

You have cancrum oris/aphthous ulcer, with secondary infection and swollen sublingual lymph node.

You need to see your dentist once to rule out any dental root infection. You may also need a swab culture and sensitivity. Instead of hydrogen peroxide rinse, do rinsing with listerine mouth wash.

You may need to take antibiotics both systemic and oral, anagesics and antiinflammatory medications.
Multivitamins would also help in easy healing. Local analgesics with antiseptics for fast healing and cure can be used. With antibiotics, even your sublingual lymph node will heal.

Wish you all the very best.
Follow-up: Have painful sore developed below lower teeth. Noticed sublingual gland swelling. Help? 4 hours later
Why did the little tailend harden and turn white? Is that an ulcer? What is that caused by? I'm assuming in this case by the treatment I used -- possibly caused by the salt and alum I applied (or zinc) and due to the the canker sore that extends just slightly up underneath that gum tissue. That piece of tissue (gland?) didn't seem to be involved until I started putting stuff on the sore and it got in the way. The canker sore is actually starting to shrink and heal and is less irritated but I'm so irritated by this little hard nodule in my mouth. There isn't much pain but I'm wondering if the white hardening on the end a sort of scab? How long before that goes away? It is driving me nuts but overall the tissue there seems to be smaller today. What do they culture? What are they looking for possibly? I'm just mostly irritated and concerned by this little white hard nodule on the end of the tissue on that one half of gum piece under the tongue. If you can provide any information about why that forms and how long it is before it will disappear, that will help. I'd like to know what to expect. I will go see the dentist on Monday or as soon as I can get in. Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Manjula R 8 hours later

The tail end may be white because of fibrous tissue that may have formed because of healing.

This is a infection of the soft tissue, but the causative agent is determined only after the culture reports. They will take swab on the surface of the lesion.

Don't use any irritant on the wound like salt etc.

Once the report comes, if you take specific antibiotics it will heal with in 10 days.

Along with that multivitamins fasten the healing process.

The lymph nodes also heal simultaneously.

All the very best..