Have painful lump formation in arms and legs. Medications?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi I am 30 year old Male have few non painful circular lump formations not more than 1-2 cms in diameter in my arms and legs. Total of 10 -15 in my whole body spread in upper legs (thighs) and arms. These are neither growing nor decreasing in size, what i should do, these are there for the past 6 months and cannot seem to get rid of them. If there is any medication what is the process and time for cure.
Should i get the Biopsy done, if yes what is the process, else if these lumps are fatty lumps what is the remedy.
Thank You.
Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

These are probbaly lipomas as I can see from your description which can be found in subcutaneous tissue in every part of our body and sometimes there can be 10,20 or even up to 50 such lipomas. The exact diagnosis can be confrimed only by biopsy or ultrasounds, but if this is soft bump without skin inflammation around it and painless,then this is lkely to be lipoma. Usually there is one or few of them,but some people like you have genetic predisposition for lipomas developing. There is no evidence that lipomas are related to blood lipids and cholesterol levels so this isnt the cause of your bumps,but obesity and diabetes may increase the risk of lipomas formation. This is completely benign lesion but it can present cosmetic problem if become enlarged or it can be painful sometimes.Unfortunately it doesnt pull back spontaneously and the only treatment is surgical removal in local anasthesia which is pretty simple procedure. It is always hard to predict how fast will it grow or will there new lesions occur,but you can remove those ones which are the biggest or cause the most problems.
Your lipid blood levels are not something to worry about. I dont think that medicines are neccessary- You just need to change your dietary habbits a bit, eat less fats and increase physical activity-
WIsh you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards