Have painful, hard, quarter-sized, lump on the elbow crease. What this could be?

Hi, I have a hard, quarter-sized, lump on the elbow crease of my left arm. It has been here for 3 weeks and is somewhat painful from time to time with a dull ache, the pain seems to be getting worse. Do you know what this could be?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
Bump which is painful or increasing in size has every reason to investigate it and if needed can be removed. There a few possibilities as to what a lump in the elbow crease can mean. These are
1.     Ganglion Cyst: This is because muscle tissues in the area of the joints can become inflamed through strains, sprains or repeatedly being injured.
2.     Synovial Cyst: is again a fluid-filled sack
3.     Lipoma
4.     Swollen Lymph Node: This can be due to infections like bacterial or viral.
5.     Bursitis or Epicondylitis: This is also a infectious tissue.
To get rid from this problem you may need a course of antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drugs. Usually these types of bumps get recovered by medications. But it is always advisable to consult your doctor and get clinically examined. Nothing can be commented without clinical examination of the bump. So feel free to consult your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query. Write back if you have another query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh