Have pain in thumb and joint, slight growth in mouth. What is going on?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi, I have pain in my left thumb , the first joint , just wondering what to do.
Also have slight growth in my mouth which I hasnot subsided for the last few months now
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 31 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Now regarding your thumb problem. There is high possibilty of it being degenerative arthritis or osteoarthritis. To confirm the diagnosis you need to get an Xray of the thumb done. Once the diagnosis is confirmed a course of analgesics along with vitamin D supplements will help relieve your symptoms.
Your description of slight growth in your mouth is worrisome. If it is in your mouth then you should consult a surgeon immediately and get a biopsy done at the earliest.
I hope this answers your querry.
With regards
Follow-up: Have pain in thumb and joint, slight growth in mouth. What is going on? 7 minutes later
Hi did it occur to you that it could be anything else besides various forms of arthritis, don't you think you should have asked for more symptoms regarding both my thumb and the growth in my mouth
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 16 minutes later
Thanks for the feedback.
The querry which you have asked is regarding a guideline for the pain in the thumb.Ideally detailed clinical evaluation followed by radiological investigation is the way to confirm the diagnosis. However internet advice is just a guideline or rather a roadmap for further investigation. Clinical evaluation cannot be done via internet consultation.
Then regarding the growth in the oral region you have clearly mentioned that it is not subsiding for months and neither have you furnished any photograph of the lesion so the best and most logical approach with respect to advice would be to get a clinical examination done by a surgeon . if he feels it is suspicious of a growth then it requires a biopsy.
I hope this answers your doubt
With regards