Ask a Dentist   »  

Have pain in the tongue, jaw and throat. Should I go for biopsy?

Strangely I have been attending many dentists regarding my teeth over some time pain along the side of tongue. The dentist I saw to day wants me to go directly for a biopsy at the Dental hospital. Pain also under inside of jaw and down the throat, painful to drink or eat all on the right side. Many years ago injured my face and jaw in a fall the upper right tooth broke I think I swallowed it. I think all of these symptoms caused by my tongue being ripped off my worn down teeth. The white craters are under the right side of tongue, I have been complaining of this for ages but it is impossible for me to see. My neck is also affected
Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX forum,

Pain in the tongue and right side of the face is due to trauma to the facial nerve at the time of accident, and even Trigemminal Neuralgia as you have mentioned that it is under treatment.

Pain on the right jaw, throat and neck(radiating pain) is due to dental reasons.
The upper tooth which is injured at the time of trauma can be treated with RCT followed by prosthetic crown placement.

White craters on the tongue can be due long standing trauma, ulcerations, lichen planus, chronic use of tobacco chewing and smoking, betel nut chewing, intake of hot spicy food, this can be confirmed only by clinical evaluation.

I would suggest you to concern to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for clinical examination and evaluation, which helps in exact diagnosis. Take an OPG x-ray, exact diagnosis is made on visual examination, pathological report of biopsy, and x-ray will confirm the diagnosis.

Meantime you go for the symptomatic treatment at home by maintaining a good oral hygiene to prevent superinfection, use antiseptic mouth rinse like betadine or chlorhexidine twice daily or just lukewarm saline gargles.

Take multivitamin tablets; apply Dologel oral ointment topically over affected area.

Hope this helps.

Dr Qazi Ammara.