Have pain in rib till back. Have constipation problem and cholesterol. Ultrasound showed fatty liver. What to do?

I have pain in my right rib cage that radiates to my back. My stools are normal in color although I do have constipation problems. I originally had pain directly under my right rib cage but now it seems to have moved up to my ribs and they are very tender. I am leaving for vacation XXXXXXX and am scared something will happen while I am gone!!! Please give me some idea of what might be going on. I had an ultrasound and all it showed was fatty liver and I had high cholesterol but since my ultrasound ive been eating healthy and have lost 20 lbs. help....I want to enjoy my week at the beach!!!
Posted Thu, 1 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Thank you so much for this query. I a Dr. Ditah and feel honored having this opportunity to address your health question today. I a so sorry to hear about this fatty liver disease and the recent pains you are feeling under the right rib cage.

From the description of this pain, it may be what we call costochondritis, which is inflammation of the cartilaginous parts of the ribs. This presents with pain that is provoked and aggravated by pressing on the affected ribs. A simple physical examination and maybe blood test is often sufficient to make this diagnosis. Treatment consist in rest and taking some anti-inflammatory drugs and pain killers. This will relieve you of the symptoms and make you feel a lot better.

I don't want to believe it is the same pain that has moved up. I rather think it is a new pain. If it were originating fro the liver and radiating to the ribs, then will not hurt when you touch. Ribs which hurt when you touch(tender) means the problem is from the ribs and not from somewhere else.

I am very happy to know you had adopted health eating habits to help solve the liver and cholesterol issues. Keep up.

For constipation, please increase the fibre content of your diet, avoid fast food, drink much water and never postpone the urge to go and defecate. Train yourself to visit the toilet regularly even if it will not always be fruitful so as to condition the system.

I a confident that with some pain killers you should be able to enjoy your weekend at the beach. If the pains should last longer than another week or become very intense, then you ay want to talk with your doctor for a more detailed evaluation.

I wish you a quick and full recovery. I hope you feel comfortable enough to make the best of your weekend at the beach. Please, if you have more questions related to the above query, I am ready and very happy to condition to address them.
Dr. Ditah, MD.