Have pain in ear and jaw and back molar, hot and cold compressor helps. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
pain in ear and jaw and back molar - hot or cold compress help? I am trying to sleep and the pain is keeping me awake
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 23 minutes later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The cause of your pain may be from a number of sources.
You may have an ear infection. In this case you might have a temperature and feel unwell. There may be enlarged glands in the area.
You may have a problem with a wisdom tooth coming through. Alternatively, you may have a problem with your temporomandibular joint on that side. This is commonly secondary to grinding your teeth whilst sleeping.
None of these conditions are serious. I would suggest for pain relief take paracetamol and ibuprofen. This may allow you to sleep. Visit your doctor for a more detailed examination. Your doctor will be in a better position to decide on further investigation and treatment.
Dr K A Pottinger