Have pain in anal region and started bleeding with pus discharge. Do I have anal fissure?

Sep 2012

hi, i think i have anal fissure/abscess. I was in severe pain until a week ago i could also feel the Sphincter spasms which were agonising. Now the pain is less but i still have significant bleeding. What worries me the most is that i have constant bleeding and i have also noticed some discharge(could be pus). The bleeding is seen on my underwear and i have a constant feeling of wetness near my rectum and when i put a tissue near my rectum i see blood(please bear in mind this is happens even when i m not having a bowel movement)
Posted Sun, 21 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 31 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description does not indicate that you have a fissure. Rather it indicates towards an infected XXXXXXX hemorrhoid.

It is a wrong conception that in hemorrhoids, you can have the bleeding only when you are defecating. In reality, bleeding can occur all the time in complicated cases.

I am wondering why you are wasting your time. Whatever it is, you are bleeding all the time. Is it not enough reason to consult with a general surgeon for performing some operative procedures? Because, it is not at all good to have such bleeding all the time. This can lead to anemia and other complications.

Moreover, you have told that sometimes you noticed a pus like discharge. It indicates superimposed infection.

You have to take a broad spectrum antibiotic. If oral antibiotics fail to give any relief, you have to go for intravenous infusion.

So, you have to consult with a general surgeon for a clinical examination (which will confirm whether it is a fissure or a hemorrhoid) and also for further management.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Follow-up: Have pain in anal region and started bleeding with pus discharge. Do I have anal fissure? 32 hours later
Can you suggest a specialist or a good hospital in chennai where I can go in for a check up.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 7 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

Sorry, I cannot suggest any particular doctor or hospitsl.

You should go to any multispeciality hospital. That would be better.