Have orange coloration on the soles of feet. What is causing this?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have orange colouration on the soles of my feet and at times on the edges of my fingers nails. what is causing this?
Posted Mon, 3 Dec 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later

Orange colouration of sole of your feet might be due to the condition known as carotenoderma.

It can be developed from increase oral intake of carotenoids (food like carrot, XXXXXXX spinach, pumpkin or sweet potato).

It can also caused from underlying disease states like hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, anorexia nervosa, nephrotic syndrome, liver disease that increase serum carotenoids with normal intake of these compounds.

Do not worry; carotenoderma is itself harmless and does not require treatment. It requires treatment of underlying cause if any.

If you had not history of taking excessive food XXXXXXX in carotene, you have to rule out underlying disease which can cause this.

So, I suggest you to get examined by a physician. You may get thyroid profile, liver and kidney function test under his or her guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have follow up queries to ask.

Follow-up: Have orange coloration on the soles of feet. What is causing this? 2 hours later
Thankyou...over the past 3 mths I have been eating alot of sweet potato and carrots in my diet. I will though get it checked though as you suggested.
regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 9 hours later

I am glad to know that I was able to address your concern. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

If you have no further queries, you can close the discussion, rate and give your reviews.

Wishing you speedy recovery....

Dr. Saurabh XXXXXXX