Have normal PSA level. Diagonised with mild enlargement of prostate. No relief from veltam. Any advice?

My PSA was always normal but I was diagonised mild enlargement of prostate & was advised tab veltam 0.4 can I continue to take the same for more longer period to keep the enlargement under control or there is a better advise.
Posted Thu, 9 May 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 25 minutes later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

It appears that you have been diagnosed with simple prostate enlargement also called benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH). The serum PSA is a parameter routinely checked in males with prostate enlargement to rule out any chances of tumor/cancer. As you have mentioned that your serum PSA is normal, this is great news, and proves that you only have a simple enlargement of the prostate.

Treatment for this condition can be done in two ways, depending on grade of prostate enlargement and the presence of complications. They are:
- Medications (eg. alpha blockers like veltam): The option of using only medication is taken into consideration when the prostate enlargement is mild, and also when the enlarged part of the prostate is not causing any complications to the surrounding structures.

This is your case, and yes sir, you can continue to take this medication for a long period of time. This will help slow down the progression of prostate enlargement.

- Surgery: This is the other option, and is usually considered in patients who have a high grade of prostate enlargement and in those who are suffering from complications due to an enlarged prostate. This is a minor procedure called TURP (transurethral resection of the prostate), and has a short recovery period of 3-5 days

In my opinion the medication that you have been prescribed is most appropriate. Please continue with this, and also continue with regular follow up with your doctor, at least once in 6 months to keep track on the progression or regression of enlargement.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be happy to help you.

Best wishes.