Have nephrotic syndrome. Taking medicine and noticed rised blood pressure. Should I change medicine?

hi i am XXXXXXX
I am 22 years old.I am diagnosed with nephrotic syndrome.
Currently i am taking following medications-
Benace-5mg ,arvast ,febustat ,defcort-18mg ,azoran-75mg(once daily)
I am taking steroids from 1 week.But my bp is still about 150/80.
Should i change medications,
My current 24 hour protein level is 1395
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 38 minutes later

Nephrotic syndrome in adult needs a basic work-up of
- HBsAg, Anti HCV, HIV,
Urine Routine, Ultrasound for kidney size and echotexture and a KIDNEY BIOPSY which is must to define the type and duration of treatment. Hope these have been done for you.

Your current medication shows that you are using febustat ( Febuxostat ) and azoran together. Please immediately consult your doctor and stop febustat.

Your question that you are taking steroid for one week but your Blood Pressure is still high-- steroids are not for the treatment of BP. Benace is for BP, kindly XXXXXXX your doctor to increase the dose or add more BP medicine.

Change of medication-- cannot be commented without seeing kidney biopsy report.

Feel free to ask any other question.

Bye for now
Follow-up: Have nephrotic syndrome. Taking medicine and noticed rised blood pressure. Should I change medicine? 17 hours later
Sir my biopsy was done in dec 2011.
I have some of the reports which states -'Mesangial proliferative GN .To treat as IgAN'.
Last year i was treated with telma ,persantin-50mg,ketolog,arvast-5mg,febustat-40mg.
Telma dosage varied between 20mg to 60 mg according to the results of 24 hour protein test.
Last time my 24 hr proteinn test was 500
Then telma ,ketolog,persantin were removed and benace-5mg was started.
But again it increased to 1395 during dec 2012 .So steroids were then added.
Right now i have some gas problems (started after taking steroids )and bp also continues to be 150/80.
Ultrasound ,AIDS, antiHCV,AIDS,HBsAg tests were normal.
Just urine routine shows 1+protein.
My creatinine is also normal.
My uric acid level and cholestrol was slightly increased which is now normal from 3-4 months.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 6 hours later
Hi ,

It is good to hear you have IgA Nephropathy; it is one of the better diseases.

So what best you can do-
1. Diet - avoid non-veg, less salt. No TOBBACO
2. BP - keep as close to 130/80 or less by using benace or telmisartan - as per your doctor's suggestion.
3. Keep a watch over urine protein / creatine ratio. If it is constantly rising or more than 1.0 then go for steroids - a course of 2 to 3 months with tapering.
4. Control of cholesterol and keep a 2 monthly watch on serum creatinine and sodium potassium. This the best you can do.

Rest continue your life as normal and don't be worried about the kidney disease.

Follow-up: Have nephrotic syndrome. Taking medicine and noticed rised blood pressure. Should I change medicine? 53 minutes later
Sir currently I am having gas and indigestion which started after taking steroids.
My bp today was 140-150/80.
Should I take other medicines for these problems.
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 1 hour later

Gas and Indigestion are common side effects of steroids. You can take pantoprazole tablets or digiene syrup under guidance of your doctor. Also if BP is still 140 to 150 you need to increase your blood pressure medicines. Please discuss with your doctor regarding these.

Hope this helps.