Have neck pain, MRI showed mild spondylosis, take botox injection. Is Teva-Pregabalin as effective as Lyrica?

Is Teva-Pregabalin as effective as Lyrica at relieving nerve pain? I experience higher pain levels since the switch-I'm taking the same dose 300mg daily. I also receive Botox injections in my head and neck which may be wearing off.
MRI 2 years ago on cervical neck revealed mild spondylitis and effacement. CAT scan in spring 2013 showed 2 bulging discs in the lumbar region...the low back pain started in January 2012. I have been on a medical leave since 2011 when daily headaches started to plaque me starting in XXXXXXX 2011- I was told it was a pinched nerve.
ue ue
Thank you
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ideally, yes. But in reality, rarely so.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for this query.

I am so sorry to hear bout the neuropathic pain and the constant need of pregabalin for symptoms control.

The truth is that these two drugs containing the same active ingredient should be equally effective at the same dose. Unfortunately, this is not always the case in reality.

Lyrica(brand name) is from a highly reputable pharmaceutical company. I trust their products. Assuredly, I can always tell you that the face value(dosage) is always equal to the intrinsic value of the active ingredient. The down side is that this drug is expensive compared to the generic Teva-Pregabalin. I can always root for lyrica for quality purposes.
XXXXXXX pregabalin(generic) is cheaper and manufactured by a company that is not as good as that of lyrica. At times the active ingredient is not exactly what they claim it is on the pill thus requiring higher dosages to achieve similar results. Generally they are of lower standards, quality, packaging, etc.. I cannot guarantee its quality.

Not to bore you with all the polemics, Generics are generally cheaper than brand drugs. They are also less effective in most cases than branded equivalence. your experience can't deny this but no one puts it out there in clear writings.

My advice is that is you have no financial issues, return to lyrica. If you do, try and increase the dose of teva-pregabalin to achieve similar results and for this, talk with your doctor.
Hope it addresses your query fully and provides guidance on how to go about it. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Have neck pain, MRI showed mild spondylosis, take botox injection. Is Teva-Pregabalin as effective as Lyrica? 54 minutes later
That was helpful and seems to me that it simply does not work as well. I get Botox injections to control headaches and migraines. It seems to work for a while but not enough to allow me to function fully on a daily basis.
Do you think it controls neck muscle spasms too or is it just working on the daily headaches.?
From my headaches and neck you think it's from previous mild strains or the car accident? I anticipated the accident as the other driver was speeding and my vehicle hit the other one on the front right side. I was braced for impact and had head slightly turned to the right. I've had right sided neck and shoulder pain ever since and it's worsened pain through other parts of my body but mostly right sided. 3 years ago..I tore my right calf muscle from going down a step. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Botox is also a muscle relaxant. This means that it can as well relax muscles of the neck and offer relief of symptoms, too.

I am so sorry too hear about this car accident. I happy to know despite the apparently scary scene, you were relatively spared of fatal consequences. Well, it is difficult to tell whether it is the accident or strains that are responsible for this as both are possible causes. Maybe they are both contributing factors.

I hope this addresses your query. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD