Have nasal allergy, facial pain, nasal polyp. Taking levoflaxon, prednisone. Will zinc supplements and vitamin A help with nasal polyps?

ENT Specialist
Question
Will taking zinc supplements and vitamin A help with nasal polyps. I am currently on Levoflaxon (sp?) antibiotic and have been on 2 rounds of prednisone. I had facial pain on right side of face which is the side the nostril seemed more irritated after consult with allergy dr. I am doing allregy shots once a week and this season has been very bad for me here in XXXXXX I had a couple of sinus infections in a 2 month period and a bad allergy flare up which my allergy dr is trying to get under control. At night I have to sleep elevated to reduce/eliminate the pain. But during day I am fine on prednisone. Also I started doing dialy nasal wash about week ago and am doing nasal spray flutacasone (sp?). I feel overall it may have gotten better but seems to be taking time and I want to stay proactive in case I have polyps. My allergy dr says if I still have issues after I am off antibiotics then I can call him back and he will have me come in for CT scan of my sinuses. In meantime I heard of natural solutions like vitamin A and zinc....should I be incorporating this in my supplements daily. Also I started exercising...and trying to lose weight....want to be healthy overall so I can beat this. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Zinc deficiency is common. Vitamin A and D are required to maintain Zinc levels in the body. There is no harm in taking these supplements.

2. Nasal allergy has no cure. Only control is possible. The cause of nasal polyps is unknown. Hence you may notice a shrinkage and reduction in the polyps with your current treatment, but even if they disappear, recurrence is seen within a few weeks.

3. Get a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) with 1 mm coronal, axial and sagittal cuts done on a multi-slice CT Scanner. This is the best investigation for nasal polyps and will give an accurate assessment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have nasal allergy, facial pain, nasal polyp. Taking levoflaxon, prednisone. Will zinc supplements and vitamin A help with nasal polyps? 4 minutes later
Are there any interactions with taking multi-vitatmin & Vitamin A/D and Zinc mineral with current antibiotic Levaflaxin (sp?) or should I wait until my last dose on Wednesday. I have been taking my antibiotic around 8 pm every day....so if I take the supplements in morning will that be a problem?

Also if I take the supplements along with Allegra D as needed is that a problem?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. There are no interactions between Levofloxacin, Alllegra D and the Zinc, Vitamin A D supplements.

2. You may take them together or separately.

Regards.