Have multiple sclerosis. Experiencing pressure on back of neck and numbness. Underlying cause?

Nov 2013

I've been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 2008 with 2 lesions and lumbar puncture was normal. Right now I'm having lots of pressure on the back of the neck and inflammation, I had 2 attacks since December. But this one is worst. I'm feeling numbness throughout by body, as well as paralysis. If I lay down I feel much worst. And I had 2 sets of iv steroids of 1000mg since December, nothing seems to work. I was wondering if this could be something else than multiple sclerosis? I did an MRI in January 2013 and they said no new lesion not even in my neck?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

It is unfortunate that you have had frequent attacks of neurological disturbances recently, causing pain and weakness.

In this scenario, the most likely cause of your current symptoms seems to be a relapse of Presence of neck and back pain, numbness and paralysis suggest a relapse of MS in the spinal cord. The only other condition that can cause something similar is a disc prolapse in the spinal cord.

A repeat MRI of the spinal cord would be useful in confirming the diagnosis.

You should anyways start IV methylprednisolone. The usual dose is 1000 mg daily for three days.

For relief of pain, pregabalin or gabapentin capsules are useful.

Another important aspect of your treatment is the use of disease modifying agents to prevent relapses. The most common drugs used for this indication are interferons.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad