Have movable, hard, nodule below the skin of the lips. What to do?

Hi, I have a hard pea sized nodule that is below the skin that can be felt just outside below my right lip (1 cm below). It doesn't hurt and it disappears during the night and comes back during day. I've had for quite a few months. It moves with the skin when I rub it (not attached to bone or muscle). I can't feel it from inside.
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
The small swelling that you have described is likely to be related to a swollen skin gland due to allergy. Since the area around the lip has a good vascularity, a mild inflammation can cause a change in the size of the swelling.
Since the swelling is a painless one and regresses too, an infection is not likely. A direct examination by a dermatologist will help in proper diagnosis. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment in the area and see if it helps.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.