Have mole that changes its colour. Could it be cancerous?

Jul 2012

I have a mole that has changed from brown to pink and the skin around it didn't XXXXXXX this summer. The doctor wants to cut it off and then send it to be tested. I'm wondering if I should have it tested or biopsy first. Or since it's changing it best to just cut it out weather its cancerous yet or not? Is there an address I could email a picture to you? It doesn't feel any different and there's no pain or itching.
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Hi there.
I understand your query & concerns.
While yes, you may upload your photograph, it will not change my opinion.
Personally i do not feel from your description, it is malignant but these things are at best arbitary yardsticks clinically.
Once it has been decided to take it off, i suggest best take it off witha 1 cm margin surrounding...what we refer to as an 'Exciscion biopsy'. Then chill...whatever the outcome, you will be safe & clear in your head-space as it is out in toto. I have never seen the sense in part removals as the irritation to the lesion may in itself serve as an 'irritant' & promote a malignant transformation in the long run.
I do hope my view is clear, precise & helps you make an informed deciscion irrespective of the final outcome after the biopsy.
Cheers & Good Luck Girl! Godspeed!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venreologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India.