Have mild regurgitation. Want to use slendertone. Is this okay to use if I have cardiac problems?

I have mild mitral regurgitation,when i was first told this they had given me a diffrent name being mitral insufficieny but now its been changed to the latter.My question today is that,i want to use a slendertone,this is a machine that works out the abs without me doing anything but putting on the belt,it sends something like electrics wave and what not to contract the muscles and so on,but it has a warning that indicated that people with cardiac problems should not use it,Im not sure whether this applies to me or not,because the same warning is on rollercoaster rides and tons of other things ive gone on without a problem.But id rather take precaution since this will actually be working on my body.I'd greatly appreciate if i could get the answer to this.Thank youu.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
I understand your concern and my answer is that you can use the machine as this is not going to cause any problem.

People with some degree of mitral regurgitation are at a higher risk to have progression to greater degrees over time.  Things that would increase this risk would be if there was specific pathology identified as a mechanism associated with the regurgitiation such as marked prolapse, or leaflet thickening. The progression of mitral regurgitation is a slow process, generally occuring over years.  In the absence of symptoms, a repeat echo in 5 years should give you some idea if your regurgitation is progressing. 

Even though some will progress, its important to remember this is a very common finding in the general population and the majority of people with this finding will have no progression.  My advice is to not worry about it, lead a normal healthy life that incorporates a healthy diet, exercise, blood pressure control and routine health care from your doctor.

People with mild to moderate mitral regurgitation who are in normal heart rhythm, with normal left heart size and function and with normal pulmonary artery pressures can participate in all competitive sports and exercises. Most patients with mitral regurgitation lead a normal life. 

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Have mild regurgitation. Want to use slendertone. Is this okay to use if I have cardiac problems? 53 minutes later
Thanks a million.This was very helpful and great tO read that the is nO problem .
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
You are most welcome to ask for any medical query any time.