Have mild pain in chest and flickering sensation on lower lips. Remedy?

Cardiologist
Question
At times mild pain in chest and flickering sensation on lower lips.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query to HC magic.

I would like to know more details about your problem.

1. When do you get this pain n the chest? During rest/ on exertion/ on running/ on using stairs/ after meals? What brings on this pain?
2. What is the area involved? Does it go somewhere else?
3. For how long it lasts? How you get relieved?
4. If it is associated with any other symptom?
5. Please mention all your medical illness like high blood pressure/ diabetes/high cholesterol.
6. How is your life style? Do you do exercise/ running/ jogging daily? What happens to your symptoms at that time?

I will be glad to discuss in details onceIi receive your details.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh

Follow-up: Have mild pain in chest and flickering sensation on lower lips. Remedy? 13 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Please find answers requested below.

Answer: There is no specific activity where it comes in it happens sometime automatically and goes away by self no changes in activity required. for an e.g: If i am driving/playing then i continue doing that after few seconds it goes away.
It has happened while sitting as well and after couple of seconds it goes away at times needs some deep breaths to be taken.

Answer: It's left side of the chest and it doesn't move around like shoulder or neck no where else, just stays there and goes away.

Answer: Lets say not more than 15-20 Secs, It goes away by self no changes/medication nothing is taken to cure it, just few deep breaths if needed i don't feel restless or i don't sweat nothing happens apart from mild pain.

Answer: I don't think so as i don't see anything else coming up along with it.

Answer: I don't have any of the above till my last checkup which was 2 months back in office though except cholesterol it was slightly on the higher side 209.

Answer: I do some routine walking post meal at night and play cricket over weekends when ever possible there are no issues in those areas and as i told there are no certain cycle to reproduce those symptoms it comes and goes by self and no set period of time or activity.

Thanks & Regards,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 5 hours later
Dear Sir

Thanks for the details.

A pain which is in mid chest and comes always on exertion and relieves by rest is likely to be anginal or cardiac or heart pain. But if the pain comes suddenly, sometime even at rest, lasts for less than a minute, goes on its own, can be elicited by touch or can be localized, does not comes up on exercise/running/exertion, it is more likely to be non-cardiac (non-anginal). Since you do not have, this short lasting pain, even on playing cricket at weekends, I would not keep a possibility of anginal pain at all.

I would like you to see your physician to ascertain any other cause for this discomfort. At times syndrome (where there is excessive flexibility of one of the valves of the heart) may produce transient discomfort but that is not angina, nor it predisposes you to heart attack.
Overall it does not seem to be angina at all historically, but since ascertaining a cause is important, you should see your physician.

Feel free to write if there is any other question.

Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh

Follow-up: Have mild pain in chest and flickering sensation on lower lips. Remedy? 19 minutes later
Thank you Doctor.

Another point here we missed was flickering of lower lip sometime is that another reason for me to worry?

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 29 minutes later
Dear Sir
No, Flickering of lip is not a cardiac issue. This may be related to your concern about the pain only. (? anxiousness).
The whole answer was in context of chest pain along with this lip flickering (taken as one complaint). I hope it is clear now.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder Singh