Have mild heart condition. Taking medicine. Can inserting stent increase the life span?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have a mild heart condition and take 25mgs of Carvedilol morning and nite as well as 8mgs of Perindopryl once per day and 100mgs of aspirin once per day.I wish to know whether or not having a stent inserted in my heart would increase my life span.

Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
The stent is inserted in the heart to open up the blocked cardiac vessels. Inserting a stent without any arterial blockage will not affect the life span of an individual. You need complete investigations like Holter monitor, Echocardiography, Tread mill test and angiography to detect any abnormality of the cardiac perfusion. In case any of the arteries are blocked then going for a cardiac stent placement will be helpful.
Let me reassure you that most of the cardiac problems can be taken care of with mild life style changes like-
1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid high calorie, oily foods.
3.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
4.) Avoid smoking and alcoholism.
5.) Exercise regularly for 30 to 40 minutes daily, maintain a healthy weight.
6.) Do not take any medicine without consulting a good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.