Have mild action tremor. How serious is this condition? Treatment to be done?

Nov 2013

Hi there,

I recently had an appointment with a neurologist and he told me I was "fine" and had a "mild action tremor", which is "quite common".

Post the appointment I am left curious about a couple of things. He did not say I have essential tremor (he also didn't say I didn't) and thought no further appointments, tests or medication were required. However I know that essential tremor is an action tremor.

I am wondering can one have an action tremor which is not essential tremor?

Also, how common is action tremor? I know essential tremor is found in up to 5% of people over 40. But does action tremor occur in a higher percentage of the population, wither temporarily or permanently?

Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I wish to reassure you that your tremors are not serious and there is no need to worry.

You have action tremors, which are much more common than essential tremor.

Your doctor did not label your tremors as essential tremors, as by definition, essential tremors last the whole life and may progress in severity over time.

Your doctor would have felt that your tremors are temporary and due to anxiety or some temporary issue.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist