Have lump under armpit. Does not pain but white things comes out when squeezed. Breastfeeding. What is it?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hi, I have a small lump under my left armpit, i just noticed it 2 weeks ago. It does not pain or so. But when i sqeeze it a white thing comes out, could u tell me what it is ? I am breast feeding. its a size of a small pea. Feels as if its just under my skin
Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 34 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for you query.
it sounds like sebaceous cyst, inflammed hair follicle or any other other localized subcutaneous inflammation. It usually happens due to shaving or develop spontaneously. You just need to keep this area clean and dry,avoid clothes and environment that provoke sweating, use mild antiseptic creams after shaving. If you notice redness, swelling and pain,you should visit doctor because antibiotic or surgical treatment may be necessary. Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Have lump under armpit. Does not pain but white things comes out when squeezed. Breastfeeding. What is it? 2 hours later
Thanks for your response, I was too worried thinking its cancer etc, yes i do shave (its for women use), so should i stop shaving ? When should i think that it is cancer ? When can i expect it to disappear ? i just want to ensure that it is not cancer of any kind
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 23 hours later

No,this is not typical manifestation of any cancer. If you notice tender, bigger lump but deeper under the skin in armpit then it can be sign of breast cancer,but this is rare,especially in your age. This is probbaly clogged sebaceous gland(cyst) or hydadenitis , and they are harmless. This should pass spontaneously in short time if you sqeezed it out. just dont shave next 5-7 days, and try not to damage skin while shaving. If this is sebaceous cyts it may recur and permanent cure is surgical removal in that case.This is easily done in local anasthesia. But just dont worry, and see how will it progress,in every case this can't be cancer. Wish you good health.