Have lump in the side of neck. Feeling headache, dizziness and numbness. Looking for cure

ENT Specialist
I have lump in the right side of my neck which aches a headache down the right side dizziness and numbness on the right side of my face
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 30 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The lump on the right side of your neck could be a mere lymph node with inflammation, which is termed as lymphadenitis.

Lymphadenitis is a response to benign, local, or generalized infections (mostly of viral pathology and self -limiting). In the process of infection, it may affect a single node or a group of nodes in the same region and which may be either unilateral or bilateral.

The commonest cause of enlargement of the lymph nodes in the neck is an hence the lymph nodes also disappear once the infection resolves. In the former situation, it is usually not very troublesome, but, if it is super added with bacterial infection or malignancy then it requires appropriate treatment of the cause.

Most of the above symptoms mentioned by you could be related to the either acute URTI or non-specific infection in the neck. Do not worry! You need to consult your doctor for a thorough examination of the throat and neck. This can be easily managed with appropriate antibiotics and symptomatic medicines.

Dizziness and headache may or may not be related to this enlarged lump. Numbness could be due to pressure effect of the lump over the adjacent blood vessels in that region. An ultrasound of the neck confirms any pressure effect on the greater blood vessels supplying to the brain. A complete blood check-up has to be done to look for reduced hemoglobin and certain vital minerals in the body. Also, in case of migraine there can be dizziness as well as headache on one side. Hence consult your doctor for a detailed investigation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon