Have lump and bruise in upper pectoral muscle. Used heating pad. How to get relief from them?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have a lump in my right upper pectoral muscle. I play tennis and it started to hurt while serving in a match on Sunday. There is a bruise on my fore shoulder now. I have been using a heating pad to try to speed recovery. I don't think it is serious, but I do not have a lump like this on my left pectoral. I sometimes jump around with dumbbells to music, dumbbell that I am, so I may have bruised the muscle prior to the tennis match. I iced the area after the tennis match and I'm avoiding lifting my arm since that is when it feels especially tender.
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Welcome and Thanks for posting your query.

From your description it seems you might got pectoral muscle strain.
Do not Worry. It's recovery is a matter of weeks—approximately 2-6.

Treatment :-
* Apply ice packs for 15-20 minutes, 3-4 times a day.Try hot packs after the first three days or once the swelling subsides. These usually soothe the muscles and help provide further relief. If you find that the heat is more irritating to the area, discontinue use and consider continuing with brief use of the ice packs.
* The best position for strained chest muscles is generally lying in a partially sitting position with two or three pillows behind your back.
* Avoid or limit any activity that causes chest wall pain
* Get immediate medical attention if the strain is severe.
*Aspirin, acetaminophen, ibuprofen, and naproxen may relieve pain. Aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen may relieve pain and reduce inflammation.
* Physical therapy may be recommended to help aid in your recovery. A physical therapist can help show you what exercises to do to help your recovery. You might receive TENS therapy, where electrotherapy helps reduce swelling and relax the muscles. Ultrasound could be used as well to promote blood flow to the area and relax muscles to help speed healing.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion,rate and give your reviews to the answer.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.