Have leg pain, deep indentations on calf and hard lump appeared below it. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have deep indentations on both calfs and there appears to be a hard lump on the lower part of my calf just below the indentation on both legs. My legs ache quite a bit at times. Is this just a part of getting older, or should I be concerned? I am 57.
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ivan Romic 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

It can be part of aging considering that it is bilateral. Woman at your age,after menopause often experience lipomatous accumulation in subcutaneous tissue,especially in hunkers and lower legs. There is no reason to be concerned unless estetics bothers you. If does,plastic suregon can help you.

I ll mention othe rpossible causes:
If you ve been physicaly inactive for a while then it could be sign of muscle atrophy. This atrophy can be caused also by neurologic disorders( nerve compression or neuropathias-do you have tingling sensation or muscle weakness?) and by vascular disorders( atherosclerosis-do you have cold legs and pain after long walk?).
Other most common causes are venous varix which can be deep and not seen on surface. This is also characterized by pain after long standing.
Subcutaneous lesons also give similar clinical picture, but it is strange that you have the same changes on both legs so it is shouldnt be it.
If you have noticed any of additional symptoms i ve mentoned I think you should visit doctors and do some simple tests such as Doppler ultrasound and muscle ultarsound.
Wish you good health. I am ready for your further questions