Have large pores on face. Facing hair falls with white bulb in the root. Is this diet related problem?

Hi, I am 20 years old and my hair falls with white bulb in the root. It is not thinning or something else just when i look at the hair strand there is a white thing covering the root area. I thought that my diet might be a problem because i am skipping breakfast a lot lately.I also have large pores on my face and thought it would be the same in my scalp. I would be really grateful if you could help.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Hair Loss
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 23 minutes later
The hair strands with white bulb at end is known as club hair which signifies that particular hair was in telogen or resting phase. At any given time, twenty percent of our hair is in resting phase. So if there is not much hair loss, you need not worry.

Having said this, sometimes due to stress, illness or nutritional disorders most of the hair goes abruptly in telogen phase and falls off causing severe hair loss.
Now if you are noticing hair fall causing decreased hair density then you are having hair fall known as telogen effluvium.As you are having stress and skipping your meals,you might notice your hair falling.
The solution is simple avoid stress and take your meals properly. Take eggs, lean meats, nuts, salads fruits, whole wheat food, soy products sprouts and milk.

As far as open pores on face are concerned, these just signify that your skin is oily and these are dilated openings of your oil gland. The same might not be the case with scalp.

Hope that helped.
Should there be any other doubt, please write back.
Follow-up: Have large pores on face. Facing hair falls with white bulb in the root. Is this diet related problem? 17 minutes later
Thanks a lot for explaining this to me. How many hair strand are normal to fall in a day, I loose about 50 and my hair is also brittle. I just wanted to know if my hair density is gonna come back if i start eating properly and avoiding stress. Also if there is any foods or treatments that could help me with my case. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 2 hours later
Fifty to hundred hair strand lost per day is considered normal. It may vary from person to person. If you feel they your hair density has reduced and your hair is brittle, you certainly need treatment.
The first step to achieve good hair would be avoiding stress and taking your meals properly. You basically need to take food XXXXXXX in iron, protein, minerals like copper, selenium, manganese vitamins like vitamin b complex group, vitamin D and biotin. In adults for brittle hair biotin is given in doses of 10 mg daily. Take foods like eggs, cheese, milk, lean meats, soy products, fish like salmon mackerel, sardines, nuts like sunflower seeds, walnuts almonds, salads and fruits.
If possible look for a hair supplement having amino acids, iron, copper, selenium,biotin etcyou may also apply minoxidil 2 percent 1 ml twice in a day to improve hair growth.

Hope that answers your query.

One last thing i wanted to know about a healthy hair routine. Like how many times a week should I shampoo my hair(I do about 4 times), any supplement name(shampoo, conditioner, treatments) would be helpful. And like you said i feel that my hair density is reducing a bit so i was thinking of taking biotin and vitamins like you said and do i need prescription for those. Thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 18 hours later
To maintain healthy hair, you can use a mild shampoo to wash hair daily or on alternate days. So four times a week is perfect.
As far as shampoo and conditioner is concerned. Choose a shampoo and conditioner according to your hair and scalp condition. Dove, Loreal, Schwarzkopf , Wella are good brands

To help improve your hair density apply minoxidil and take biotin and vitamin supplements. Both of them I guess are available OTC.
Follow-up: Have large pores on face. Facing hair falls with white bulb in the root. Is this diet related problem? 2 hours later

I am 20 and not a big fan of medicines and I am not sure about minoxidil or biotin, because i have never heard of them and i just wanted to know if they have any side effects like for example if i use this for a good amount of time and my hair is back to normal ; Do i need to keep using this for my whole life to keep my hair or just a healthy diet and exercising should be enough? And if i decide to take them do you think rogaine (minoxidil) or any other; and about biotin (it's the simple vitamin pills right?) Thanks and that is my last question.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 19 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Biotin is a B complex group vitamin required for good hair growth, better skin and nails. Sometimes biotin deficiency can cause brittle hair and nails. As a routine recommendation we dermatologists prefer giving it for good hair and nail growth. As it is a water soluble vitamin so there is no chance of it leading to any toxicity. If you do not want to take biotin tablets you may take carrots, whole wheat food, nuts, eggs, liver, soy, sardine mackerel, Gaana, cauliflower, mushrooms,legumes etc which are XXXXXXX in biotin. But daily intake of these cannot XXXXXXX the required amount of 10 mg of biotin daily. So initially for a month you may take biotin supplement available. Once you feel That your hair has improved, you may stop it. Same is the case with minoxidil. There is a strict rule for minoxidil use. It has to be used in an amount of 1 ml twice in a day over scalp and in your case can be stopped once hair growth has improved.

If you do not want to take medicines, its fine. Just improve your diet and lower your stress levels. There will be good effect on your hair but it would take time.

Hope that helps!