Have large nose, lots of loose flesh around eyes. Cance free. Sexually abused in childhood. What can be done?

i have a large nose, lots of loose flesh around the eyes, my neck is terrible, i have been cancer free for over 2 years, i was sexually abused for most of my childhood, every time i look at my nose, it bring back flashbacks, i just to want to look different. i have had lots of councelling, then i found thid site, dare i hope
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thank you for using XXXXXXX

I am so sorry to hear about the experiences you went through in your childhood. This must have been a terrible experience for you then and to relive all the times when you see your nose is even more disturbing.

I will like to start by reminding you that you nose has no problem from the the image uploaded. It serves its principal functions and I find no abnormality with it. However, it all depends on how you see your nose.

The nose in itself is not the problem. The problem is how you perceive it and react to the information you obtain from it and the information you have asociated wit it. I know it is extremely difficult but the solution is to change the torture you go through each time by relating your nose to the terrible past you experienced. My honest advice would be that you strive to think of something else each time you see your nose. How I teach you this on the internet is unlikely but your doctor(psychiatrist) should be able to help you. This is learning to associate this nose with a more pleasant and interesting happening in your life so that it can represent a source of XXXXXXX and not agony.

I will not even suggest that you go in for plastic surgery. Looking different is not the solution here. If there was a scalpel for the mind, that it would have been the immediate solutions. But however, we have the scalpel for the mind with your psychiatrist and he will use it not to change your nose but to change the way you see it.This is because the problem is not your nose but the experience you have attached to the nose. The nose is a mere unfortunate culprit but the real difficulty is in you changing what message you receive or your thoughts when you see your nose.

I understand it is a difficult thing to do. I also understand it will not be an overnight victory battle. However, I also understand that yo can overcome this by going through multiple sessions of psychotherapy, conditioning the mind to make your nose a source of XXXXXXX not sorrow. Please, contact and talk with your psychiatrist.

I wish you well and hope this helps. Let me know if there is something more that I can do to help you with this.
Dr. Ditah, MD.