Have large lump in anus. No pain or discomfort. Help?

I am a 60 year male with no major XXXXXXX issues. For the past 8 years I have had a firm large lump, about 2 cm by 1 cm. It is from my anus up my right buttock. No pain or discomfort but I can feel it sometimes when I sit. It appears it may getting a little larger.I did a have a bad hemorrhoid about 20 years ago but no episodes since. Any insight would be helpful. Thank you
Posted Fri, 26 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 minutes later

I went through your post with diligence. As per your description you have a firm lump measuring 2cm by 1cm around the right gluteal region close to the anal opening. As there is no pain and discomfort, the closest possibility that I can think of is a "Lipoma".

Lipoma is a benign lump comprising of abnormal fat cells. It grows at a very, very gradual pace and rarely causes serious health problems. Therefore we do not choose to treat it and opt for wait and watch policy.

Your description seems very consistent with features of lipoma. You can talk about this lump during your next visit to the doctor. He/she can clinically examine the lump and if needed obtain samples by fine needle to confirm the possibility.

From what I feel, you need not be concerned. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Best regards
Follow-up: Have large lump in anus. No pain or discomfort. Help? 2 hours later
Thank you for your fast reply. Because of it's locale does the pressure of sitting on it effect in any negative way and how big can lipomas get? Thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 31 minutes later

Most lipoma lumps are under 2cm of size. Rarely they reach a size of 5 cm. Beyond 5cm is very, very sparse. That being said, lipoma is capable of growing size, though at snail's pace, they do grow.

It doesn't commonly cause pressure effects. So I don't think you would experience any serious negative effects due to its location. A few negative effects you can watch out for are pain and local redness/rise in temperature.

With this information (to relieve anxiety), I would urge you to bring this lump to your doctor's notice for confirmation of lipoma.

If all your queries are addressed, I would like you to close the discussion. But if you have any enquiries, will be pleased to address them.

Best Regards