Have knot on neck below ear and experiencing reoccurring pain. Diagnosed with pinched nerve. Could it be tumour?

I have knot on right side of neck below the ear. I was in a wreck 13 years ago & experience recurring pain on this side from time to time. Chiropractor says it's pinched nerves. Doctor prescribed muscle relaxers & said it could be inflammed muscle. Swelling knot is still present after treatment at chiropractor & also taking muscle relaxers. Knot is not round, it feels more long. I'm worried it might be a tumor??? I have ocassional light headedness & sometimes knot in my neck will throb.
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Considering the site of involvement and the description you gave about the lesion you have ,I suspect two possibilities.

One possibility could be that the lesion is an enlarged lymph node.This occurs if there is any kind of mild inflammatory reaction going on in any organs in the vicinity like tooth caries, ear infection , sore throat etc.These nodes can present with throbbing pain rarely.This is not serious and once the infective focus is removed then the lymph node will return to its normal size.There is no risk of malignancy here.

The other consideration would be a Neurofibroma, this occurs in a nerve and the lesion presents along the course of the nerve.These lesions usually grow to a size of about 1 to 2 cm or even more.They are not harmful and do not cause any symptom other than mild pain on touch.They rarely do become malignant specially when there are multiple such lesions in the body.No treatment is needed for a single lesion with no neurological symptoms in the surrounding structures.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.