Ask a Urologist   »  

Have kidney stones. Suggest medicines. Can I use Flomax tablets?

Hi Doctor,

I have 2 times kidney stone history.Currently i have 3 stones in the kidney with the largest stone having diameter 3.0.1 ,Please find the scan report below.Do you suggest any medicines or tablets that can break this stone .The stone is in the kidney and can i use Flomax Tablets.Doctor is telling Flomax is not a good way to operate renal calcium stones.Provide me your inpits

Exam Number: A0000 Report Status: Final

Date/Time: 03/15/2013 15:27

Exam Code: CT063

Ordering Provider: STEELE MD, XXXXXXX

INDICATION: 32 year-old male with history of renal calculi.

TECHNIQUE: CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis was obtained without

without PO or IV contrast.

COMPARISON: CT ureter dated 8/27/2010

LOWER CHEST: Linear opacity in the lingula is likely subsegmental

atelectasis. Otherwise no suspicious pulmonary nodules or masses.

There is no pleural or pericardial effusion.

LIVER: No focal lesions

BILIARY SYSTEM: No extrahepatic biliary ductal dilatation. The

gallbladder is normal.

SPLEEN: Normal

KIDNEYS: There are 3 nonobstructing renal calculi within the left

kidney measuring up to 6 mm. The right kidney is normal. There is

no hydronephrosis.

BOWEL: The small and large bowel are normal in caliber and do not

demonstrate evidence of obstruction or wall thickening.

MESENTERY, OMENTUM, PERITONEUM: There is no free air or fluid

within the abdomen or pelvis.

RETROPERITONEUM: There is no retroperitoneal hematoma.

PELVIC ORGANS: The prostate and bladder are normal.

LYMPH NODES: Subcentimeter retroperitoneal and bilateral external

iliac nodes are unchanged from the prior exam and are likely

BONES AND SOFT TISSUES: There are no suspicious lytic or blastic

Three nonobstructing calculi within the left kidney measuring up

to 6 mm are unchanged from the prior exam.

I, the teaching physician, have reviewed the images and agree

with the report as written.

This report was electronically signed by XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 15 hours later
As a matter of fact, Flomax might not really help, as the stones are definitely located in the kidney rather than the ureter. Flomax helps in the situation where a small( <10mm) stone is in the lower ureter, and causes the distal ureter to expand following which the stone often is spontaneously expelled out.
What I suggest you to do is take plenty of oral fluids, at least 4 litres/day. The increased urine output that will result will help the stones come out on their own. There are pros and cons of using diuretic agents which will further increase urine production, and at this juncture, I will be quite happy with only the improved water intake. Luckily, the stones are not too big, considering that the largest is 6mm, and at this stage unless you are very particular, you do not need any active urological instrumentative procedure like laser or shock wave lithotripsy. If at any time you develop pain or fever due to urinary infection or find that you are unable to void urine comfortably you can undergo any of these procedures.
The fact that you had a history of producing stones earlier means you are likely to do so again even after the present stones are expelled by means of improved hydration. You might benefit from getting a metabolic evaluation for stones done where your urine output over 24 hours is assessed and the urine is also examined for its constituents such as calcium, oxalate, citrate, magnesium, phosphate and we might be able to pinpoint the reason why you are forming stones on a recurrent basis, and thus give more specific guidelines to avoid such a formation in the future.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Follow-up: Have kidney stones. Suggest medicines. Can I use Flomax tablets? 2 days later
hi doctor

actuaqlly there is s smal mistake in the report.there are 3 stones with range of 3 mm.the highest stone is 3.01 mm,i taking plenty of water as u suggest .in next 3 months if i follow a proper diet how much big this stones can become bigger.
do u suggest any tablets that i can use to break this stones.last 2 times i had calcium oxalter stones,So i think it should be the same this time.Do you suggest any tablets or home remdedies that i can take for the same.

thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 3 hours later
If the largest stone is 3mm, you will almost certainly expel the stone spontaneously without too much discomfort provided you hydrate yourself well with oral fluids in excess of 3-4 litres/day. In such a situation, a repeat ultrasound after 3 months is unlikely to show any stone growth, and actually might not reveal any stones at all if they have been spontaneously expelled.
Potasiium citrate is available which reduces the risk of forming calcium stones, but I do not know whether you can get this without a prescription in USA where you seem to be currently located, and even otherwise a few tests are to be done before you start using this medicine, and so I suggest you consult a urologist before starting to use this drug. Long term usage might also be beneficial in avoiding stone recurrence in a few patients.