Have kidney stone. Feeling dizzy and lightheaded. Will it pass on its own?

I was in the ER for a kidney stone over the weekend. They said it was 3mm and 85% passed which was as he explained it, in the tube right where it curves before emptying into the bladded. This was 5 days ago. I do not think I have passed the stone yet and have not been in pain since the ER visit. Today I feel dizzy and lightheaded. Is this an early warning sign that it might pass soon? And if so, will passing it be as painful as it was as it was leaving the kidney?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 17 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Passing the stones with diameters less than 5 mm is most of the time painless except than the first stage that you have experiences of (from the neck of ureter in the junction with kidney). It means that you should not worry about its passing since it has passed with high probability until now.
You may drink water more than you drink and drink less coffee and tea f you drink too much since they have lots of a substance predispose you for stone.
You may also ask your doctor to ask you a urinary analysis to see if you are vulnerable to any specific kind of stone.
Some people find it following an infection, so it is good to know about it.
They also study the crystals to see how you can prevent the stones. Some stones are preventable with magnesium supplements, etc.
Dizziness and lightheaded feeling does not appear to be related to stone passage, so do not worry about it. It could be a sign of dehydration that happens frequently specially if your room is warm at night or during the day. Dehydration is one of the factors can cause stone as well.
I wish you the best health.