Have joint pain, swollen hands with blue fingers and trouble in standing. How to get cured?

These are the symptoms - swollen hands with blue fingers, SOB, severe joint and muscle pain, constant tiredness, waking with joint pain, blood splinters under fingernails, tacacardic, trouble standing, walking and showering without needing to sit.
Posted Sun, 2 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 6 hours later

Thanks for the query. I'm Dr. Christensen and I am pleased to answer your query.

Your symptoms are very worrisome. Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of a condition called infective endocarditis, which is caused by an infection (usually bacterial) of the lining of your heart or one of your heart's valves.

Infective endocarditis usually occurs when bacteria from somewhere in your body -- the mouth is a common source -- travel through your bloodstream and attach to damaged areas on the inner surface of your heart. Once the bacteria grow in your heart, they "seed" to other body parts, such as your spleen, kidneys, and extremities. (The blood splinters under your nails could be splinter hemorrhages, which are one of the classic signs of infective endocarditis). In addition, the bacterial growth in your heart, especially if it occurs on one of the heart's valves, interferes with your heart's normal function and leads to shortness of breath, poor oxygenation of your tissues, rapid heartbeat and fatigue.

If you do have infective endocarditis, this is a very serious and XXXXXXX condition. I urge you to seek medical attention immediately. Given the severity of your symptoms, I'd suggest a trip to the nearest emergency facility.

I'm available to answer more questions if you have any, but do not delay. See a physician as soon as possible.

Good luck -- I hope things go well!