Have itchy sore throat,hot face and ears,hypertension,stress and anxiety. Help needed?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have had an itchy sore throat for approx 3 weeks...seem to have drainage on the back of throat and sinuses slightly coughing...but constantly swallowing or trying to clear mucous....When I take XXXXXXX breathes I feel the air go by the irritated fever or very low fever if any....ENT swabbed for STREP
and sent camera thru nose down throat and didnt see anything. In the last 5+ days im getting HOT FACE & EARS so bad its affecting my ability to concentrate on work...never had HOT FACE in my life...(im 51male). Yes I have hypertension and just started Bystolic 5mg consistantly the last month. Sorry to throw so much at you but STRESS & ANXIETY has been a big problem for me so I'm on XANAX as well....While at GP they pricked finger and said it showed Its VIRAL..before that-- when I was at the ENT (who didnt see anything) gave me RX of Azirthrimycin (cpak?)
to start on over the weekend in case I didnt get better...well it didnt get better so today I took the first 2 (day one) pills. Ragweed is extremely high right now which I have come to find out is very tough on me also. My hot face tends to make me suspect sinus infection but im not clogged and wouldnt the ENT have seen that (unless its in the cheek cavities?) If I have a virus what could it be ? is the sore throat and hot face related ? After sore throat started and BEFORE hot face I took some METRONIDAZOLE (for 4 days) I had around the house thinking it was suitable for an antibiotic....i since learned this was not right decision and its more for other things like fungal....So I stopped...I hope I didnt mess up my system cause thats when the HOT FACE and EARS and sometimes TOPS OF ARMS started happening....It feels like I tore my throat with a violent sneeze or cut it somehow....Also both my two teenagers (19 & 17) just got over STREP & HFM (hand, foot, mouth) scarlet fever? disease just before I got sick!!! Please help me !!!!
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

I ll try to answer your questions one by one.
Your first query is whether you have sinusitis, the answer is no, it's unlikely because there is no discharge, fever, tenderness of the sinus and yes the ENT surgeon would not have missed it.

Your second query is whether you are having viral infection , the answer is considering the long duration and paucity of symptoms and blood test done by gp , it can be viral the common ones being RSV, rhinovirus, adenovirus or enterovirus but then it should gradually resolve by itself.

Your third query is whether hot face and sore throat are related, the answer is may or may not can be due to increased blood supply to face neck ears as a result of infection but it can also
be a side effect of metronidazole but then should stop once you have stopped treatment
Anyways it wil resolve on it's own in both cases.

Your next query is whether you have hurt your throat while violent sneezing which seems to me the most likely cause apart from a forcible sneeze or cough sometimes there is sudden barotrauma to the mucosa of the nose and throat causing minor injury and inflammation which can explain your symptoms like, itchy irritability in throat, constant mucus secretion with no other major symptoms like fever, cough pain etc.
The same can be said of allergy but in allergy the symptoms should improve on taking anti histamine drugs like cetrizine.
Your children can infect you with viral sorethroat but its not likely to be strep.

So now to summarise, let me tell you that first you need to relax as there is nothing major or worrisome about your illness.Its good to know that you are so aware and concerned about your health which I really think is a good habbit in the long run.

You seem to have minor inflammation of your respiratory passage namely nasopharynx which could be injury or viral or allergy but for exact diagnosis a repeat blood test, throat swab and xray might help.the treatment in any case would be the same, i.e. symptomatic , one anti histaminics to control itching and mucus and hot flush, two an antibiotic for preventing and treating superadded bacterial infection, which azithromycin wil be a good choice.three good oral hygiene including thrice daily warm salt water gargles for soothing.also have plenty of fluids and nutritious diet.
so hope you feel better in a couple of days after starting treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.
Ill be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Have itchy sore throat,hot face and ears,hypertension,stress and anxiety. Help needed? 17 hours later
Thank you very much !! I dont often feel Ive gotten spot on caring answers like yours...I have one more comment...I sit most of the day (except 2nd job) and recently unknowingly started a NEW posture in front of computer which has me leaning forward on my thighs with neck seemingly in a face and ears maybe started with this so im leaning back more and circulation may be such im feeling less hot face.....or maybe its just the lexapro and xanax i took hour ago helping.... at any case when i take breaks and walk around it seems to help it as well !! so just maybe its sitting too much cutting off some blood supplys from neck and legs to head ?? or more likely whatever the viral infection is ? or probably also ANXIETY.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 35 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up query.
Any prolonged posture does affect our blood circulation and so experts recommend taking a break every half an hour for sedentary workers.Also sitting in front of the computer adds to the problems .So if you feel the sudden appearance of your hot flush coincides with the new posture it's a good decision to take breaks in between.
But it still could be more likely viral if there is no relief when you are at home, not working or engaged in some other activity.
As for anxiety, there is a vast spectrum of symptoms which are attributed to anxiety when all other causes are excluded.And a very easy way to find out is to assume it to be anxiety related and try to avoid or minimise stress, if the symptoms decrease you could attribute it to anxiety .
I know its very easily said than done.I dont want you to hunt for its cause, rather just believe that it will resolve soon and you'll be much better.
I would also suggest that prolonged medication for stress and anxiety are best avoided and minimised if you make the right lifestyle changes.