Have itchy, red spots on legs and stomach. Tested negative for HIV. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012

Dermatologist
Question
I have red round spots on my legs mostly and a couple on my stomach and arms that look like ringworm. It started with one spot on the back of my thigh that grew larger that looks like ringworm as well. They itch and sometimes burn. I went to Walgreens clinic and she scared me saying she has never seen so much ringworm in her life. Gave me ketacaonozale cream and lamisil pills. I've started cream but afraid to take pills. She said she was afraid I might have autoimmune. I took HIV test it was negative. Might it not be ringworm at all?
Posted Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 5 hours later
Hi there.
If the doctor was a dermatologist, then yes it may just be 'ring-worm' or 'tinea corporis'. However, it is a touch difficult to concretely say so going by your description & from the image you presented. It looks more like some form of allergic vasculitis type of lesion with urticated/purpuric plaques. It may have been precipitated y some low grade viral infection. How long have you used the cream & has there been any benefit at all? I would suggest doing a simple CBC test (complete blood count with ESR) & a Platelet/BT/CT/PTT tests that will help you arrive at a diagnosis. Also, a skin biopsy of one of the lesions may be in order. I tend to agree with you that this does not seem to be a fungal infection going purely by the photograph you sent in. However, if so, lamisil pills are probably the order of the day...but before you start do a liver function test & a renal function test...then you are good to go. Cheers & do hope this has pointed you out in the direction of an informed consent. Good Luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist

Follow-up: Have itchy, red spots on legs and stomach. Tested negative for HIV. What could it be? 12 minutes later
It's not possible that it might be pityriasis rosea? And no the person that saw me was not a dermatologist, she was a nurse practitioner at a clinic. I have been on the ketacaonozale cream for 3 days. Is that long enough to see a difference if it is indeed ringworm? Allergic vasculitis sounds very scary.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 10 hours later
Hi there.
Pityraisis Rosea is by itself a differential diagnosis for vasculitis.
No Vasculitis esp allergic is far from scary & easily addressed.
If not a dermatologist, please consult with one on the ground & this will greatly help you. Yes 3 days is enough to see some result or change in the rash if fungal.
Had suggested a host of blood tests. Please get them done & review with your dermatologist with them.
Cheers & Good luck.