Have itchy red/Browns spots in groin area. Partner had fungal infection. Using monostat. Can I use fast acting over the counter medicine?

Excellent

Question
I have an itchy red/Browns spots in my groin area. I saw it 2 days ago..after our last intercourse my wife mentioned she has a very bad fungus infection and she is using monostat..is that fungus transferred to me? Can I use any fast acting over the counter medicine? I travel every week and its very uncomfotable
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 23 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that you did pick up an infection from your wife if she is currently being treated for a fungal infection.
Fungal infections in males would normally present with redness and rash of the glans penis but it can also infect other areas as well.

YOu may want to consider the use of a topical anti fungal cream. These should be available over the counter.
Examples of over the counter anti fungal medications are nizoral, ketoconazole, lamisil, miconazole.

These creams should be used for at least 7 days though some persons may need to use these creams for 2 weeks because sometimes the infection can take long to resolve.
It would also be important to keep the area dry because fungi like moisture

There are other cause of an itchy rash in the groin such as a reaction to a chemical such as cream/lotion/soap/detergent. If you have changed any of these agents then it is possible you are reacting to this change.

IF there has been no change then it is unlikely that any of these agents are the cause. In that case a steroid cream would be effective.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Have itchy red/Browns spots in groin area. Partner had fungal infection. Using monostat. Can I use fast acting over the counter medicine? 18 minutes later
Hi there,

I am pretty sure its not caused by chemical such as cream/lotion/soap/detergent. As nothing has been changed and it is obvious that i got it form my wife as it started happening a day or two after the intercourse. Can i get these at a safeway or albertsons?, which do you recommend most,t hat works the best?, we have a trip to hawaii with kids in a week, i would hate to have this when we are in Hawaii.

nizoral, ketoconazole, lamisil, miconazole

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Hi
yes, these any of these are available at any local pharmacy.
Lamisil may be the best option, this is used once a day.

If this is not available you can use ketoconazle, also once daily

Feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Have itchy red/Browns spots in groin area. Partner had fungal infection. Using monostat. Can I use fast acting over the counter medicine? 8 hours later
one last question, can i use this on my penis as well? i believe i have fungus there as well. I feel very itchy :-(

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 35 minutes later
Hi

Yes you can use it on any part of your skin including the penis.
Keep the involved areas as clean and dry as possible.

You can ask any additional questions if anything remains unclear.