Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Have you received the picture ( s) associated with my query? the bumps have begun to look a bit red..i suspect the area has become irritated.
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
There are no images attached to the query.
A good close up picture will be very much appreciated. You may attach a pic using the "upload your reports" feature on the query page-right hand side.
Do mention your symptoms and a brief history regarding the problem so that I can help you better.
Waiting for your reply.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD? 31 minutes later
I've had a rash on the shaft of my penis for almost 2 months...small white pimples..they didn't itch in the beginning but i burst one maybe 2weeks ago and since then the area has been itchy and flaky.. i have looked all over for information on what this could be..i don't have any of the common symptoms associated with an sti/ STD.the base of the pimples look a bit reddish however the tips are still white..i hope its visible from the pic i have uploaded again like you suggested.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 20 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
I have seen the picture attached.
The bumps that you have mentioned are suggestive of contact dermatitis, a itchy rash caused by things your skin touches. Emollients or moisturizers help keep the skin moist, and also help skin repair itself. They protect the skin from becoming inflamed again. They are a key part of preventing and treating contact dermatitis.

Corticosteroid skin creams or ointments may reduce inflammation. You can get one over the counter and can apply it twice daily for two weeks.

I advice you to follow this above mentioned measures still if it persists or if it spreads consult the dermatologist for examination and also to find out the cause.

Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Have itchy rashes on penis shaft. Should I be worried for STD? 5 minutes later
Is there any chance that it could be an STI or STD? am wondering if its dermatitis why is it just that specific area? it hasn't spread to anywhere else,no other area of my body has experienced any irritation so these symptoms are localised to just that area which causes me to be concerned.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 hours later
Dermatitis can be localized also. The bumps that you have do not seem to be related to an STD. However a direct examination of the area will help in confirmation.
You can wait for a week for it to subside spontaneously and in case it persists, consult a dermatologist.