Have itchy, raised freckle on chest. Should I be concerned?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
I have a slightly raised freckle that itches on my chest just below my shoulder. I have many freckles from sun damage over the years. Should I be concerned about a freckle that itches?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Freckles are increased melanin pigment in a localized area occurring mainly due exposure to sun. Usually they are not itchy. If at all itching occurs, it usually subsides in some time. However if itch is persistent, there can be a possibility of some dermatitis along with it.

Taking antihistamines will help in itch control. Also apply some moisturizing lotion as sometimes dry skin also causes itching.

If the above measures do not give you adequate relief, get yourself examined by a Dermatologist.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.