Have itching in hair, feel small pimple beneath hair on the skull. How to avoid itching?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
(null)
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

From description it looks like scalp cyst. These usually look and feel like a pimple.
Most of the time scalp cysts are fairly small in size and go away without any medical treatment.

Avoid squeezing or picking because these actions can irritate the cyst, which might cause infection and swelling. In addition to not touching a scalp cyst, keep the hair and scalp clean.

If it doesn't appear to be improving after a few weeks , get it evaluated by your doctor.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
I would be glad to help if needed.

Follow-up: Have itching in hair, feel small pimple beneath hair on the skull. How to avoid itching? 28 minutes later
Thanks , its very irritating and pending since few months. Can you pls prescribe any hair solution or shampoo that can cool off this itching.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 11 hours later

Try some of these tips to cool off this itching:-

* Simply use aloe Vera gel on scalp skin with hand and then shampoo out.
* You can use mixture of some natural oil like-avocado, lavender, tea tree oil, olive, almond and coconut oil.
* Lemon is another helpful ingredient to heal itchy scalp.
* Mixture of XXXXXXX cider vinegar and water is one of easiest remedies for itchy scalp.

Hope this helps you.

GOOD DAY!

Follow-up: Have itching in hair, feel small pimple beneath hair on the skull. How to avoid itching? 27 minutes later
Pls suggest some medicated shampoo or oil available in mkt? i ve tried some of tips you ve suggested but its not easy to use regularly. Moreover i m also having thinning of hair for which dr prescribed me finopecia tablet year back .i m not taking these tablet since 6 month or so coz it used to agravate itching? Can you suggest me any good medicine which solve this itching and hait thinning problem?

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Finpecia 1mg (Finasteride Tablets) is used to treat male pattern hair loss. You should follow your doctors advice and continue taking this tablet. You can tell your doctor about your itching problem and get some lotion. For itching you can try a steroid salicylic acid combination lotion (bariderm s or steriderm s) over the bumps in night. You may also use mild non-medicated shampoo.

If you have dandruff or flakiness of scalp, you can use a shampoo that has anti-fungal component like ketoconazole and tar based shampoo (like konaz CT) every alternate day. This can help relieve the dandruff atleast temporarily.

You can use these shampoo and lotion after discussing with your doctor.

Hope this helps you.