Have invention in upper right arm. Slight pain that increases with certain movements. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I have an invention in my upper right arm. Slight pain that increases with certain movements. Can not reach to hook bra in back.
Posted Sat, 28 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
?need further investigation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
From your description of your shoulder pain, I consider you would need further examination and possibly referral to a shoulder surgeon.
There are a number of possible problems with your shoulder. You could have the early symptoms of frozen shoulder which is when the tissues around the joint become inflamed and thickened. You may have impingement syndrome, this is where a tendon in your shoulder becomes trapped on certain movements. Or you may have a rotator cuff problem which affects the muscles and tendons surrounding the shoulder.
You would need a full examination and further investigation to identify the cause. This would be likely to include an MRI scan. I would suggest seeing a shoulder surgeon for advice.
In the meantime, rests your shoulder but not in a sling as this may result in further stiffness. Apply ice packs 2 to 3 times per day. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen for pain relief. Steroid injects can help some shoulder pain but your doctor would be best placed to suggest this treatment.
I hope this is helpful. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,